Laws Change.  Values Don’t.  
Your priorities will always be ours. ©

Probate, Estates and Genealogy


Your Will is a vitally important document and should be reviewed periodically to ensure that it accurately reflects your wishes in changing circumstances particularly changes to your marital or co-habitation status. We can advise on:


We have more than 25 years experience in locating heirs in Ireland and the rest of the world for American Estates. We work in close co-operation with several American genealogy research firms.

Regardless of whether the deceased person left a will or died intestate, we are able to establish their ancestors and then work forwards to locate living heirs. This is usually required because the deceased person is single, or widowed with no children.  Once grandparents, aunts and uncles are documented, it is possible to trace cousins and other living family members.  

We have located heirs in Ireland, Great Britain, New Zealand, Australia and Europe.  We collect birth, baptism, marriage and death certificates.  We produce detailed genealogy reports and family tree charts.  Where applicable, we arrange for documents and affidavits to be apostilled (authenticated) by the relevant authorities, so that they may be used in the appropriate American Court.

In addition to estate research, we assist in obtaining Irish Passports.  For example, a client was born in Australia and lived there for several years before returning to Ireland.  We enabled him to obtain a passport by providing documentation on the maternal side to prove he had an Irish grandmother.

Article - What happens if I die without making a Will

If you die without making a Will, the law provides that your spouse or civil partner is entitled to your entire estate if there are no children. If you leave a spouse or civil partner and children your spouse or civil partner gets two-thirds and one-third goes to your children. If you do not have a spouse or civil partner, your entire estate goes to your children. In either event, if there are children under the age of 18 years, trustees must be appointed. If a child of yours dies before you leaving children, those children take their parent’s share. If you do not have a spouse, a civil partner or children, your parents are entitled to your entire estate. If both parents are deceased, then your estate is divided between your brothers and sisters (if any brother or sister dies before you and leaves children, then those children (your nieces and nephews) take their parent's share).

Taken from the January 2011 edition of The Law Society of Ireland’s booklet ‘Making a Will’

Read More